News, Notes & Votes
BOARD MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
St. Helena Unified School District
September 30, 2011
On September 30, 2011, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., the Board of Trustees held a Special Meeting and Workshop.
1. The Board held the required annual Public Hearing on the Sufficiency of Instructional Materials and Williams Settlement Instructional Materials; however, no comments from the public were provided. The Board approved the Sufficiency of Instructional Materials and Williams Settlement Instructional Materials.
2. The Board’s Strategic Planning Objectives were approved at this meeting, and they are as follows:
1. Student Learning and Achievement
Approve a program evaluation plan for student learning and achievement, which
ensures the highest level of achievement of all students and builds in accountability
measures and reporting requirements at all grade levels.
2. Strategic Planning
Continue Strategic Planning to confirm mission and overall direction of the District
as well as approve goals and objectives for the areas of Curriculum, Facilities, and Communication.
3. Consistency with Goals
Schedule key topics and decisions consistent with goals, objectives, and the
responsibilities of the Board of Trustees.
4. Positive Relationships
Foster positive relationships with all stakeholders in the District: Students,
Certified Staff, Classified Staff, Administration, and Community Members.
Implement changes in the District budget to meet the budget assumptions for the
2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school years.
6. Facilities Projects
Complete all facilities projects in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Improve communications with the Community, the press, and throughout the District.
3. The Board approved their Planning Calendar for the 2011-12 year, which outlines responsibilities, activities, reports, and decisions that the Board of Trustees are responsible for throughout the year. A copy of this Planning Calendar will be available on the SHUSD web site.
4. The Board approved the CSBA Standards for Trustees and Superintendents as the standards the District will follow for those positions. A copy of it will be available on the web site.
5. During this Workshop, the Board was provided a training on the Brown Act by Mr. Bob Caine, a former Superintendent of Schools in Kentfield. Protocols and Norms, created at a previous workshop in June, 2011, were discussed as the Board asked for an update on Protocols and Norms be investigated.