News, Notes & Votes
BOARD MEETING HIGHLIGHTS
St. Helena Unified School District
January 12, 2012
1. RLS Modernization Phase II and St. Helena High School Special Education Classroom
The Board approved the architectural schematic, plans, and budget for the RLS Modernization Phase II as well as the St. Helena High School Special Education
Classroom project. This approval will allow the architects to move forward on developing final plans.
2. Window for Participation in State-Authorized Retirement Incentive for Certificated Staff
In compliance with the SHTA Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Board approved opening a window period to provide a CALSTRS Early Retirement Incentive Program (ERIP) for Certificated employees that meet the following qualifications:
• Age 55 with at least 5 years of service (excluding unused sick leave or service credit granted under either retirement incentive) or
• Age 50 with at least 30 years of service (excluding unused sick leave or service credit granted under either retirement incentive) or
• Age 55 with fewer than five years of service credit but eligible for concurrent retirement with another California public retirement system such as the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS).
The Retirement Incentive provided by the District for the employee is two additional years of service credit. Employees covered by CalSTRS are provided a definedRetirement Benefit.
Letters will be sent today to all employees who qualify for this early retirement opportunity. If the Early Retirement Incentive Program is granted by the Board, irrevocable letters of retirement from each employee must be submitted by March 1, 2012, for this window period.
3. Evaluation of the 2011 SHUSD Summer School Report
Interim Principal Henry Morita presented his Evaluation of the 2011 Summer School Program to the Board along with his recommendations for the District to contemplate in considering future Summer School Programs. Mr. Morita’s report may be found on the District website at the following link to the January 12, 2011 Board Agenda (scroll to page 38 of the online Agenda):
4. Report on Technology
Mr. Bill Cook, the District’s Interim Director of Network Management and Applications, provided an update to the Board on the District’s 2010-2013 Technology Plan, inwhich he recapped expenditures to date, explained the Refresh Program for the entire District, and provided the plan for future technology implementation and expenditures throughout the District.
5. 2012-13 Budget Calendar and Planning Process
CBO Greg Medici presented the 2012-13 Budget Calendar and Planning Process to the Board. Superintendent McGuire explained the very challenging situation with the State budget and its expected impact on the District at this stage. The Board scheduled a Budget Study Session for February 2, 2012.